Thursday, February 3, 2011

Being a Mummy

I love it! I am so proud to be a Mummy to this little girl. She is truly a wonderful little baby and I am so blessed to have her.

I have found out that being a Mother is basically just a big guessing game and learning to follow your own instincts. I was pretty surprised and impressed at how quickly those instincts kick in once your little one arrives. No one knows your baby like you do. Not the books, midwives or doctors who sometimes like to think they do.

I've also learned that Motherhood, while being wonderful, is also very scary. When I first came home from hospital I was so scared to fall asleep because I wanted to have a constant watch on my baby. I was very protective and nervous if anyone else was holding my precious bundle and didn't like her being out of my site for one minute. Luckily this has all settled down now and I am quite calm about the whole thing (most of the time, lol).

I am very happy to be fully breastfeeding Mikayla, although it didn't come without its troubles. Initially she couldn't latch no matter what myself and the midwives would do. I had to express and syringe feed the colostrum in the beginning. Everyday and night in hospital was a struggle to get her to try and latch. I was becoming very upset and thought I might not be able to breastfeed my baby. One of the midwives ended up giving me a nipple shield to use which Mikayla took to perfectly. Although it wasn't ideal, I was at least breastfeeding her.

Once home though and a few days had past I began to hate the shield, it was so messy and it would always get knocked off by little hands when I would feed her. I tried desperately on and off again to get her to latch without the shield to no avail. I was getting really upset and feeling like a complete failure. I knew if she continued feeding with the shield that my milk supply could eventually dry up and that she may get so use to the shield that she would never take the breast without it. Four weeks on I went to the Children's health clinic for a check up where a lactation consultant gave me a DVD to watch on how to attach your baby properly. I went home and tried out this new technique that was very different to what I had been shown by the midwives at the hospital. She latched right away! I was over the moon with excitment!!! It took us two very hard and stressful weeks to find our groove and get the whole breastfeeding thing down pat. We got there in the long run and now my baby is a latching machine and will take nothing other then the boob, lol!

I look back at this time now and am soooo thankful that I did not give up because I am loving breastfeeding so much. I don't think I would have been able to do it though and stick at it for so long if it wasn't for the constant support and encouragement of my Husband and Mum. They truly gave me the strength to keep up with it and persevere. Thank you!

My beautiful girl on Australia Day

3 comments:

Rita said...

What an ordeal. I guess those midwives need to learn a thing or two! I'm so glad you didn't give up. She is a delight, Mom! :):)

Tat said...

Great that you are loving it and that you got breastfeeding sorted out. Your little Australian looks so cute.

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Michelle Sweetie,
It is so nice to see a post from you again. :)
Hope you are all doing well and things in Australia are getting better.
Wow Mikayla is getting so big! Has she worn the gifts? Here she looks beautiful. God bless her.
Love and hugs